|Name:||RNDr. Pavel Hrouzek, Ph.D.|
Laboratory of algal biotechnology
Pavel Hrouzek's group
|Phone:||+420 384 340 470|
|Position:||Head of the Laboratory|
Main research interest
In the initial stage of my carrier, my research interest was more broad covering different aspect of research in cyanobacteria (ecophysiology, diversity and taxonomy). After obtaining my PhD, my primary research interest focused on the study of microbial (mostly cyanobacterial) secondary metabolites and their interaction with human cells from both toxicological and pharmacological point of view.
HPLC-HRMS/MS techniques for small molecules identification, compound purification, screening methods for anticancer activity, cells based assays.
Description of the academic carrier
- 2016–now Head of the laboratory of Algal Biotechnology, Center Algatech, Institute of Microbiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- 2010–2015 Senior scientist at the Institute of Microbiology, Center Algatech, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, permanent position
- 2005–2010 Junior scientist at the Institute of Physical Biology, University of South Bohemia and Institute of Microbiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
- 2002–2004 Technician at the Institute of Soil Biology, Academy of the Sciences of the Czech Republic (Employee on the European grant: The Conservation of a Vital European Scientific & Biotechnological Resource, Microalgae & Cyanobacteria
- 10’ 2011 PhD in Botany, University of South Bohemia, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic, Advisor: Dr. Jiri Kopecky
- 1’ 2005 MSc in Life Science at the University of South Bohemia, Advisor: Prof. Jiri Komarek
Most important research projects
- 2015–2019 National Programme of Sustainability I (Grant No.: LO1416), Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic – Key senior researcher
- 2016–2018 Standard Czech Grant Agency Project GAČR (16-09381S) – Bioactive cyanobacterial lipopeptides: genome mining, detection, and structure-activity – principal investigator (PI)
- 2013–2015 Junior Czech Grant Agency Project GAČR (P50312P614) – Cyanobacterial secondary metabolites as cytotoxins and apoptosis inducers – PI
- 2011–2014 European project ALGALTECH (CZ. 1.05/21.00/03.0110) – Junior researcher
The most important conference talks (aprox. 14 in total)
- Hrouzek P, Voracova K. 2017. Screening cyanobacteria for novel compounds with potential anticancer activity. Biotech 2017, Praque, Czech Republic.
- Hrouzek P. 2014. Biosynthesis of cyanobacterial cytotoxic lipopeptides. Trends in Natural Products Research, Olomouc, Czech Republic.
- Hrouzek P, Voracova K, Kapuscik A, Tomek P, Kopecky J. 2013. A broad biological activity of Cyanobacterial lipopeptides as an example of possible ecotoxicological significance of Cyanobacterial cytotoxins. 9th International conference on toxic Cyanobacteria, Pilanesberg National Park, South Africa.
- Hrouzek P, Kapuscik A, Voracova K, Tomek P, Kopecky J. 2011. Cyanobacterial cytotoxins as potential pharmaceutic agents and toxins. 8th European Workshop on Molecular Biology of Cyanobacteria, Naanthali, Finland.
The most important poster presentations (aprox. 25 in total)
- Hrouzek P, Voracova K, Kapuscik A, Kucerova P, Hajek J, Kuzma M. 2010. Apoptotic inducers from cyanobacteria: Novel pro-apoptotic metabolite “299” from cyanobacterium Nostoc sp. Cell Death Signaling in Cancer and the Immune System. Guaruja, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Hrouzek P, Tomek P, Lukesova A, Urban J, Voloshko L, Pushparaj B, Ventura S, Lukavsky J, Stys D, Kopecky J. 2010. Cytotoxicity and secondary metabolites production in terrestrial Nostoc strains, originating from different climatic/geographic regions and habitats: Is their cytotoxicity environmentally dependent? 18th Symposium of the International Association for Cyanophyte Research, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic.
- Hrouzek P, Kopecky J, Soldati E, Ventura S. 2006. Cytotoxicity and secondary metabolites production in soil cyanobacteria: correlation with geographical origin and phylogeny. 12th International Symposium on Phototrophic Prokaryotes, Pau, France.
- Hrouzek P, Kopecky J, Marsalek B, Lukesova A. 2004. Cytotoxic effect of Cyanobacterial extracts – induction of necrosis and apoptosis. 16th Symposium of the International Association for Cyanophyte Research, Luxembourg.
Key current international cooperation
- Dr. David Fewer, Prof. Kaarina Sivonen (Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland)
- Dr. André Mueller (Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria)
- Prof. Herbert Riepel (University of Applied Sciences, Straubing)
- Prof. Andreas Villunger (Medical University Innsbruck, Division of Developmental Immunology, Biocenter Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Teaching and Tutoring
- 2017–now Permanent pedagogical activity at the University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic (Lecture on Natural bioactive compounds)
Past student supervision
- Vickova K. 2018. The cytostatic effect of the nostatin A and its naturally occurred structural analogues against HeLa cell line. Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – MSc supervisor
- Voracova K. 2017. Screening Cyanobacteria for Apoptosis Induction in Human Cancer Cell Lines: Discovery of a Novel Compound Nocuolin A. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – PhD supervisor
- Delawska K. 2016. Toxicological potential in benthic cyanobacteria of order Nostocales. Master thesis, Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Msc supervisor
- Skacelova K. 2010. Cytotoxicity of benthic and periphyton cyanobacteria. Bachelor thesis, Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Bc supervisor
- Tomek P. 2010. Muscotoxins: novel cytotoxic undecapeptides with unique structural elements and mechanism of action, isolated from soil cyanobacterium Nostoc muscorum. Master thesis, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – MSc supervisor
- Vickova K. 2015. Cytotoxic effect of some cyanobacterial crude extracts and metabolites against selected human cancer lines, especially focusing on pancreatic cancer cell line PaTu. Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Bc consultant
- Tomek P. 2007. Cytotoxicity of the filamentous cyanobacteria in relation to its ecology. Bachelor thesis, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Bc consultant
- Hisem D. 2008. Toxicity of Heterocytous Cyanobacteria to Model Invertebrate Artemia salina. Bachelor thesis, Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Bc consultant
- Hrcková (Mohlova) K. 2005. Biological fixation of molecular nitrogen by selected soil cyanobacteria. Bachelor thesis, Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Bc consultant
Ongoing student supervision
- Galica T. Distribution of potentially toxic lipopeptides and methods of their detection. Department of Ecosystem Biology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – Ph.D. thesis – PhD supervisor
- Hájek J. Structural diversity of cyanobacterial lipopeptides with emphasis oon their biosythesis and toxicity. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – PhD supervisor
- Cincarova D. Meatbolomic studies on biotechnologically relavant algae grown in heterotrophic and phototrophic growth. Department of Experimental Plant Biology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – PhD supervisor
- Delawska K. Study of cyanobacterial secondary metabolites anticancer effects using rat isogenic WB Neo/Ras cells. Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia – PhD supervisor
Prices and awards
- 2016 Awarded by the Czech Academy of Sciences by Oto Wichterle medal for young scientists
Non-scientific skills and other activities
Im generally interested music, Im playing with the alternative rock-band Mons Pubis, Im organizing music events and festivals. I used to perform with amateur theater.
I like to volunteer in the biological (or enviromental) field projects not related to my research topic.