ALGATECH Summer School 2019
Centre ALGATECH – Institute of Microbiology of Czech Academy of Science, Třeboň - Opatovický mlýn, 8th July - 26th July 2019
REGISTRATION ( it will be open on February 25, 2019)
Centre ALGATECH – Institute of Microbiology of Czech Academy of Science, v. v. i., located in Třeboň, opens the third year of international summer schools for high school and undergraduate students. Our goal is to facilitate an experience of being a scientist at a renowned research institution.
- Real scientific projects are prepared for the students to choose from, based on preferences. The students will spend their time with a hands-on project under the supervision of skilled professionists, using modern equipment in our renovated laboratories. On site at the institute, confocal microscope, flow cytometry, MS-TOF and other equipments are available for use.
- Students will receive a certificate of attendance from the ALGATECH summer school.
- Accommodation is provided on site free of charge and it will host up to three students in the room.
- Meals are not provided, but there are kitchenettes available in the Centre, or there will be a possibility to eat nearby Třeboň.
|Project Name||Project Manager|
|Downstream Processing of High Starch Content Microalgal Biomass ►||Ivan Ivanov, Ph.D.|
|Cultivation of microalgal cultures in waste water in pilot-scale outdoor trials to enhance biological activity ►||João Câmara Manoel, MSc.|
|Copper sensitivity in Ostreococcus taurii ►||Meri Eichner, Ph.D.|
|Iron scavengers - dynamics of siderophore production in cyanobacterium Leptolyngbya sp. ►||Mgr. Tomáš Galica|
|Screening of cyanobacterial metabolites for anti-virulence activity ►||Kumar Saurav, Ph.D.|
|Role of carotenoids in the thylakoid membrane structure and organization in cyanobacteria Synechocystis PCC 6803 mutants ►||MSc. Myriam Canonico|
|Interplay between photosynthesis and the production of chlorophyll ►||Éva Kiss, Ph.D.|
|Do algae grow in heavy water? ►||Mgr. Veronika Kselíková|
TERMS, REQUIREMENTS AND ORGANIZATION
- Summer school will be held between 8 – 26 July 2019.
- The ALGATECH Summer school can only be attended by undergraduate students (bachelor‘s preferred), aged 18 and over.
- Students who did not participate in Algatech summer schools yet, will be preferred.
- In rare cases, and by prior arrangement, students can accommodate a day earlier, on Sunday, July 7.
- Beginning/Registration: 8:00 - 12:00 on Monday July 8.
- Welcome speech and guided tour through the research facility: 13:00-16:00.
- Project work starts on Tuesday July 10 and will be carried out in 1 - 2 person teams.
- Final oral presentations of the individual projects will take place on Thursday 25, together with a final discussion and certificate presentation. Then will follow the Farewell Party. Departure will be possible the next day.
When filling in the Online registration, you are asked to:
- Choose two among the offered projects; one as your main interest project and one as an alternative project.
- Apply via online registration by 15 May 2019 at the latest.
- Upload your CV in English. Please let us know your field of study and your Skype address. Pre-selected students will be contacted for a brief interview before the final selection.
- Successful applicants will be informed by an email about the project they are assigned to by May 31.
- An invitation letter and other documents will be send by post mail.
Contact: MSc. Myriam Canonico, Laboratory of photosynthesis, firstname.lastname@example.org, +420 384 340 442/464. For questions regarding the scientific projects, please contact directly the lecturers responsible for individual projects.
(Photo: Ivan Emr, Lenka Moravcová, Markéta Stefanová, Richard Lhotský)